Studio Nauta was founded in 2013 in Rotterdam by Jan Nauta. The studio has designed various homes, offices and schools, with the work receiving various nominations and prizes, as well as being published internationally.
The Rotterdam based office works on projects that aim to contribute to society and the field of architecture. Characterised by a commitment to all scales of architectural design, the work encompasses everything from concept to detail. Free from nostalgia, Studio Nauta believes in architecture as a craft, with making deeply woven into the design process.
The buildings of Studio Nauta are not only physically sustainable, but also socially and spatially. By systematically building on existing qualities of a location, they are always deeply embedded in their cultural context.
Studio Nauta was the only Dutch office to be included in the Wallpaper Architects Directory in 2018, and won the Abe Bonnema Prize for Young Architects.
- Architectural Association
- Bureau Europa
- Jungle Minds
- Plein 06
- Municipality of Groningen
- PCBO Leeuwarden
- Municipality of Leeuwarden
- Sinne Kinderopvang
- Municipality of Dordrecht
- Schipper Bosch
- Woodbury University
- SDK Kinderopvang
Jan Nauta (1982, Rotterdam) is an architect based in Rotterdam. In 2013 he founded Studio Nauta, a design and research organisation for the transformation of space. The studio specialises in delivering projects that establish new and bespoke relationships between humans and space. It produces physical designs, strategic and programmatic solutions. The studio operates as a collaborative network for spatial transformation, promoting change through design, research and writing.
Nauta studied at the Amsterdam University of Applied Science and graduated from the Architectural Association’s Diploma School in 2011, winning the AA Prize. Previously Nauta has worked for Markus Miessen in Berlin, was a researcher at the AA and consulted Beyond Entropy for the Venice Biennale’s 2010 and 2012. He is a co-founder of the Public Occasion Agency, was a curator at Bureau Europa and has held teaching positions at the University of Brighton and the Rotterdam Academy of Architecture.
Jan Nauta has been a guest critic and lecturer at various institutions including the AA, the Bartlett, Cambridge University, TU Delft and the Berlage Institute. He has contributed to numerous publications as a writer and editor.
Jan Nauta is a registered Architect in the Netherlands. Architecten Register No 1.120215.006
Jan Nauta, Benjamin Filbey, Andrea Gentilini, Niek van der Zwaag, Teresa Marinoni de Athayde, Ties van Benten
Past: Alexander Speelman, Jordy Herfst, Perle Boudier
- No Fire, No Place, edited by Machiel Spaan, Forum, 2019
- Architecture Yearbook, edited by Kirsten Hannema, Robert Jan de Kort and Lara Schrijver, NAi 010, 2018
- Architects Directory, Wallpaper, 2018
- Architecture Yearbook, edited by Kirsten Hannema, Robert Jan de Kort and Lara Schrijver, NAi 010, 2016
- Architecture NL, interview by Jeroen Junte, 2017
- Made to Measure, edited by Sofie De Caigny, Flemish Architecture Institute, 2017
- Volume Magazine #42, edited by Arjen Oosterman, 2014
- Critical Spatial Practice, edited by Nicolaus Hirsch and Markus Miessen, Sternberg Press, 2012
- Waking Up from the Nightmare of Participation, edited by Markus Miessen and Nina Kolowratnik, Expodium, 2012
- POA 1 – 22, edited by Scrap Marshall and Jan Nauta, Bedford Press, 2011
- Cedric Price Ephemera, edited by Scrap Marshall and Jan Nauta, Architectural Association, 2011
- Room for Learning, Woodbury Hollywood Gallery, Los Angeles, 2019
- Bonnema Prize, Frisian Museum, Leeuwarden, 2018
- Prelude, Muhka, Antwerp, 2017
- Living in the Centre, Cityhall, Groningen, 2017
- Memory Bank, Architectural Association, London, 2016
- Masswerk, Deutsches Architekturmuseum, Frankfurt, 2016
- The Dynamics of Time, Maastricht, 2014
- Wish We Were Here, Architectural Association, London, 2011
- Technical University, Delft, 2018
- Biënnale Brno, Tsjech Republic, 2017
- Deutsches Architekturmuseum, Frankfurt, 2017
- Architectural Association, London, 2015
- Bureau Europa, Maastricht, 2015
- Venice Architecture Biennale, 2012
- Rotterdam Academy of Architecture
- Architectural Association School of Architecture
- TU Delft
- University of Brighton
- Design Academy Eindhoven
- Berlage Institute
- Royal Academy of Arts
© Studio Nauta, 2019 / Photography: Frank van der Salm, Jordi Huisman, Valerie Bennett, Sue Barr, Johannes Swartz, Pam Kat / Design & development: ZAK Group